Order of Massage
The following is a guide to the order and timings of a massage.
Client care before the massage
- Prepare the room and the work area
- Take the client's coat and bags and put them somewhere safe and escort the client into the room.
- Carry out the consultation on the client.
- Ask the client to change, either into a robe or so he/she can get straight onto the couch.
- Cover the client with towels.
- Throughout the massage, areas not being treated must be kept covered and areas being treated must be well supported.
- It is essential that the client is comfortable and warm to aid relaxation.
- All essentials must be immediately to hand so that continuity of the massage may be maintained.
Order and approximate times:
Start with the client on his/her back. A small towel or pillow can be placed under the knees for comfort.
- Left leg - 7 mins
- Right leg - 7 mins
- Right arm - 5 mins
- Chest - 7 mins
- Left arm - 5 mins
- Abdomen - 5 mins
Turn the client onto his/her stomach. Place a small pillow under the abdomen if the client has large breasts.
- Back of the right leg - 5 mins
- Back of the left leg - 5 mins
- Whole of the back - 15 mins
These are only guidelines; you can alter the procedure and timing if your client requires something else.